Sunday, February 24, 2013

Peppermint Pattie Brownies




Printable Recipe


I found this recipe on How Sweet It Is.  The pictures on Jessica's site are gorgeous, and I knew mine would pale by comparison, but I was pretty sure that they would taste almost as good as hers looked ... and I was right.  The filling is downright velvety, smooth and just melts in your mouth and the ganache is scrumptious, too.

I probably over baked the brownies somewhat, so next time, I will take them out of the oven just as soon as they are set.  Otherwise, you can't really go wrong with this recipe.  Thank you Jessica, because of you, I have found a new family favorite!

This recipe is made in an 8 x 8" baking pan, but I doubled the recipe, making it in a 9 x 13" pan.

Brownie Layer
 1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup chocolate chips (I used semi sweet)

Peppermint Pattie Layer
2 cups powdered sugar
1 1/2 tbsp butter, softened
3 tbsp evaporated milk
1/4 tsp vegetable oil
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp peppermint extract

Ganache Layer
 3 1/2 oz dark chocolate, finely chpd (since I doubled the recipe, and I used a 4 oz bar of dark chocolate, I also used 3 oz of semi sweet mini chocolate chips)
2 1/2 tbsp heavy cream


To make the brownies
 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease an 8 x 8" baking pan. (Next time I will line the pan with parchment paper, as well.)

In a large bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla extract and using a whisk, combine until almost smooth.  Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, and whisk until completely smooth.

In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder salt and baking soda.  I would suggest sifting it all together first.  Stir into the batter with the whisk, just until combined.  Using a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips.  Spread into the prepared pan and bake 350 degrees, 25 - 30 minutes until set.  Let cool.

To make the peppermint pattie filling
Combine the powdered sugar, butter, milk, vegetable oil, vanilla extract and peppermint extract and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.  Add more evaporated milk if desired. Spread evenly over the brownies.  Chill in pan in the refrigerator until set, about 30 minutes.

To make the Ganache
Place the chopped chocolate in a glass bowl.  Heat the heavy cream and pour over the chocolate, stirring for a few minutes until smooth.  Spread evenly over the peppermint pattie layer.  Refrigerate until the chocolate is set.  I stored these in the refrigerator.  These were gone in just a couple of days!













No comments: