I got this recipe from work. It is excellent, and very versatile. You can use most any type of pasta, whether it is tortellini or egg noodles, or another type of pasta. I use egg noodles, but cheese tortellini is also very good.
Based upon a recipe found here.
6 cups water
1 (32-oz) carton low-sodium chicken broth
2 (10-3/4 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup (may add an additional can, of desired)
2 cups (about 4 breasts) boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked chicken, cut up - I use a rotisserie chicken
small amount of chopped onion, optional
2 large peeled carrots, diced
1/2 tsp basil leaves, or to taste
1/2 tsp oregano leaves, or to taste
12-oz package extra-wide (or dumpling) egg noodles, cooked in a seperate pot and drained
1. In a large soup pot, combine the water, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, onions, carrots, basil and oregano.
2. Bring to a boil and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
3. Add the chicken and cooked pasta and simmer, covered, for another 15 minutes, or until heated through. Adjust seasonings to taste.
1. I add a tub of Knorr Chicken Homestyle Stock.
2. If the soup is too thick, add additional water or chicken broth, or may add the additional can - or just a portion - of cream of chicken soup.
3. May add other seasonings such as thyme, poultry seasoning, and/or ground sage.