Friday, January 12, 2024

(Luke's) Taco Dip

I got this recipe from a coworker many, many years ago. It has just a few simple ingredients and was always a hit everywhere I took it. It was an absolute favorite of my son, Luke. Before he died, I made it for him often; so everytime I see this recipe, I think of him. 




You can make as much of this, or as little of this as you'd like. You can make it spicier by using Hot Taco Sauce, or milder, by using the Mild Taco Sauce. You can add diced onion, and if you wanted it even spicier, you could add chopped jalapeno pepper. It is best to prepare this the day before serving. Below is the base recipe.


Ingredients

4 large Roma tomatoes
1-2 Green bell peppers, seeded and diced (You may add other color bell peppers, if desired)
1-2 (8-oz) bags of shredded Cheddar cheese (do not shred your own, otherwise it will clump together too much)
1-3 (8-oz) jars of Ortega Taco Sauce (I use the medium flavor)

Directions

Chop up your tomatoes. I like to remove the pulp inside, by cutting then in half and scooping out the center pulp and seeds. This way, the dip does not get too watery. Cut the tomatoes into strips, and then dice crosswise. Cut out the centers of the green peppers, and dice. Toss everything together into a bowl that has a cover. Add the cheese and taco sauce. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight before serving, to soften the bell peppers and to allow the flavors to blend well. 

Serve with plain tostitos, or cheese-flavored doritos. 




No comments: