Monday, November 26, 2018

Upside-Down Chicken Pot Pies

I have to admit, I am something of a recipe magazine junkie, and I love collecting the recipes and keeping them on hand for the one day that I will make them. I have found many wonderful recipes that way. The problem is that I often forget which magazine I saw a particular recipe in and even whether I saw it in a magazine, a blog, or on Pinterest, etc., so then I have to go searching and for it. I've decided that I will add these recipes to my blog though initially they won't have a photo even if just for my own reference.

OK, let's get started.

Adapted from Cuisine at Home - Creative Comfort Food that feeds your soul
On display until October 29, 2018

The picture in this magazine looks delicious - very homey and comforting. I love chicken pot pie, but often find the ones I normally buy quite salty. This particular version is a different take on the traditional pot pie that has a pie crust. Plus, it is a sort of "open-faced" pot pie. I can't wait to give it a try!

Print

For the crust, whisk together: (Step 2)
 2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp minced fresh thyme
1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Cut in:
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1 cup buttermilk

For the filling, Sauté (Step 5) 
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
Diced onion (to your taste)
3 tbsp butter

Add:
1 cup frozen cut green beans
1 tbsp minced fresh thyme

Stir in:
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (Note: The store where I normally buy my rotisserie chickens only yield about 2 cups of cooked chicken, so you will need to adjust accordingly.)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste


1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2.  For the crust: Whisk together the flour, thyme, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

3.  Cut in cubed butter until mixture is pea-sized. Stir in the buttermilk just until all of the flour is moistened. Transfer mixture to an 8" cast iron skillet. (If you don't have a cast-iron skillet, you can probably use a heavy-duty 8" round cake pan. However, you may have to cook the pot pie a little longer because cast-iron holds heat so well and for a long time.) With dampened fingers, pat the dough into the bottom and part way up the sides of the skillet.

4.  Bake crust at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes. With a spoon, press down the crust to make a well in the center.

5.  For the fillingSauté carrots, celery and onions in the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until tender-crisp.

6.  Add in the green beans and thyme and cook for 2 minutes.

7.  Stir in the flour to coat the vegetables and cook for 2 minutes over medium heat. Whisk in the milk and cook the filling until slightly thickened, about 8 minutes. Stir in the chicken, parsley, and lemon juice; season with salt and pepper to taste.

8.  Spoon the filling into crust and bake pie at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Let pie stand for 5 minutes before serving.

No comments: