Monday, June 10, 2019

Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes





For some reason, I've never been all that successful at making pancakes. But recently, I've had a craving for homemade pancakes; and since I happened to have both buttermilk and blueberries on hand, I decided to make some for breakfast this morning. I did a short search for buttermilk pancakes, and found this one from Tiffany at the Creme de la Crumb cooking blog. They were very easy to make and turned out great, and tasted fantastic, and I highly recommend trying them out. You can find the recipe here: Buttermilk Blueberry Pancakes Creme de la Crumb. You can make these without any fruit, or with chocolate chips, whatever your preference might be.

Below is for a single recipe, but I doubled the it because I wanted extras for leftovers. See my notes at the end of the recipe for tips on making these.






Print


1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp vegetable oil or butter, melted (I used butter)
1 cup fresh blueberries

oil for frying
extra butter and maple syrup for serving


1. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

2. Add the buttermilk, sugar, eggs, vanilla, and vegetable oil (or butter) and whisk to combine. DO NOT OVER MIX - SOME LUMPS ARE PERFECTLY FINE. Gently stir in the blueberries.

3. Heat a griddle to 350, or a large skillet over medium heat. Add a dab of vegetable oil (or butter) and spread over the surface.

4. Using a 1/3 or 1/2 cup measuring cup, scoop and then pour the batter onto the prepared pan. Do not touch the pancakes and cook for about 2-3 minutes, or until small bubbles appear on the surface of the batter. Flip the pancakes and cook another 2-3 minutes, or until browned on the other side.
5. Top with butter and syrup and serve hot.



NOTES:

  • Make sure you are not over mixing the batter, and that there are lumps in it. Over mixing could cause the pancakes to turn out tough. 
  • Do not overcrowd that pancakes in your skillet. Just make two, perhaps three at the very most, in your skillet at a time. I don't have an electric griddle (but I told my son that if we end up really liking these and make them often, I might consider purchasing one because making pancakes on a griddle is easier than in a skillet). 
  • These will puff up as they cook. Initially, I thought I had done something wrong, or that there was something wrong with the recipe because they started out flatter than I expected. However, they did puff up as they cooked, and turned out nice and thick. As long as your baking powder and baking soda are fresh, these should turn out just fine. 
  • For some reason, I did not notice the step for adding the blueberries to the batter (step 2), so I just added the blueberries to the tops of the pancake batter as they were frying up. I waited maybe a minute before adding them to the tops of the individual pancakes so they would start to cook through. I'm sure that either way, adding it to the batter itself, or to the tops of the pancakes as they are cooking will work out just fine. 



No comments: