Monday, June 10, 2019

How do YOU make your bacon?

I decided that I've been making bacon the wrong way my whole life. I've always pan-fried my bacon, not liking how long it took or the mess it made with the spattered grease, not to mention how unevenly it cooks. I started reading about how well it turns out in the oven, and then started cooking it in the oven a few months ago. I'm telling you, it is so easy, and turns out evenly crisp. I don't think I will go back to cooking it in a skillet again, at least not on a regular basis. Furthermore, it cooks flat in the oven, whereas in a skillet, it usually does not cook flat. I believe there is a big difference in taste between the two methods, with the oven-fried method tasting so much better. Then there is the big advantage in that you don’t have to babysit oven-fried bacon as you do with the pan-fried version. Try it out and see for yourself.

Here are the pan-fried results. These pictures may not reveal how unevenly cooked the pan-fried method is, but it was unevenly cooked.


Print



Skillet Method:

I don't think I need to tell you how to fry it up in a skillet:




Oven Method:

To make it in the oven is very simple. 

1. You just lay the bacon slices on a large baking sheet with sides. This is a good time to add brown sugar and some spices if you would like it candied.

2. You can line the pan with foil or parchment paper for easier cleanup, but it is not necessary. 

3. You can use a baking rack, or not. Either way, it will turn out great.

4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, to desired doneness. 

5. It is not necessary to turn the bacon over halfway through the baking time, but I have found that if you don't use a rack, you might want to turn the bacon over halfway through the baking time so it cooks evenly on both sides.

6. After cooking, lay the bacon on paper towel-lined plate to absorb the grease.  







No comments: