Monday, November 25, 2019

Crockpot Beef Stew

I've made this recipe twice in the last month, or so. It is so flavorful, you really should make it! The first time I made it, I used stew meat and the second time, I used chuck roast that I cut into about 1 1/2 to 2" pieces. The chuck roast is so much better, but if you need to use stew meat, it is still very good.

I found the recipe here, at Carlsbad Cravings. Do read through her post if you are able, because it has a lot of good tips and information.

As I've said, I used chuck roast the second time I made this, and I did sear the meat before adding to the crockpot. I think that made a difference, as it adds to the layers of flavor. However, it probably is not necessary if you don't have the time. When I made this the first time around, I used a can of diced tomatoes rather than crushed. The second time, I used crushed tomatoes. I might prefer the diced tomatoes, but use whatever suits your preferences.




Print


Beef Stew Ingredients
1 tbsp (or more) olive oil
2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into bite-sized pieces
       (Stew meat will work if that is all you have access to)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
4-5 medium-sized red potatoes, about 1 pound, chopped (I scrub them and leave the skins on)
4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
4 stalks celery, cut into 1/4 to 1/2" pieces
1 large onion, chopped
4-6 garlic cloves, minced ( I don't like garlic, so I did not add)
1 bay leaf

Beef Gravy Broth
1 (14-oz) can crushed tomatoes (You can also use a (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes - do not drain)
1 (10.5-oz) can beef consomme (You can substitute low-sodium beef broth, if unable to find)
1 (15-oz) can low sodium beef broth (I use Swanson's)
2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tbsp Dijon mustard (I don't care for mustard, so I did not add)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp (or cubes) beef bouillon
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves

1. Cut your meat into bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle your meat with the salt and pepper.

2. Heat olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat. (I used a cast iron skillet, but any heavy-duty skillet will do) Brown the meat in a very hot skillet and let cook, undisturbed for approximately 2 minutes, or until it has a nice sear on the first side. Continue to brown on all sides, but do not cook all the way through. This will only take a few more minutes. TIP: Brown the meat in small batches, so that it achieves a good sear. I browned the meat in three batches. Place the meat in the bottom of the crockpot, as you brown it.

3.  Add the vegetables and garlic to the crockpot, and give it a good stir. 

4. Wipe out the skillet and add the beef consomme. Do not heat, yet. Add the flour and whisk together until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, while you whisk everything together. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until thickened and the consistency of gravy. Add to the crockpot and give it another good stir. The gravy will thin out as it cooks together with the meat and vegetables. 

5. Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours, or on LOW for 8-10 hours, or until the meat and vegetables are very tender. Discard bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired. 

Serve with a crusty bread, or biscuits. 






No comments: