Monday, December 23, 2019

Classic Cake Doughnuts 2019

It's time to update my annual doughnut making for 2019. You can see my original post from 2010 here.

I'm not able to get together with my family as I have to work once again this year, Last year I made these for work, and I'm making them for work this year, as well. Normally, I have off Christmas Eve, and that is my big Doughnut. Making. Day. (Actually, after all these years I've got it down to where it only takes me a few hours now- even to make a triple or quadruple batch.) This year, however, I work both Christmas Eve Day, Christmas Day, and all the way through the weekend. Sigh. So I decided I would make these the weekend prior and I'd serve them on the 24th and the 25th.  No harm, no foul.

For years, I have been searching for a good, thick  vanilla frosting recipe, rather than the thin almost clear glaze, that I've been able to find. This time, I finally found one, or at least one that I decided to trust. The picture looked exactly like what I was looking for! It's not too different than what you would use on cookies, if you were frosting, say, sugar cookies. I am very pleased with it. Also, I can't believe that I haven't posted the chocolate glaze recipe on here, and that every year I have look it up online. So I am finally going to post it here so everything is in one place.

Something else I did that is new this year ... I used sprinkles. I'm not real fond of them myself, but I know that there are those where I work that would enjoy them, so I gave it a try. I sent out my son to pick some up at Michael's while I was making the doughnuts and they didn't have a lot of colors to choose from (it being so close to Christmas and all). All in all though, I think they still turned out rather nicely.

First the pictures, then the recipes. (Sorry about the quality of the pictures, I packaged them up to take to work, so that is why they are in  foil containers.)



Chocolate Iced




Chocolate Iced with Sprinkles





Vanilla Frosting with Sprinkles





Vanilla Frosting with Sprinkles





Vanilla Frosting with Sprinkles





Plain Doughnut Holes





Sugared Doughnut Holes




Glazed Doughnut Holes



Print


Classic Cake Doughnuts 

This is for a single batch and makes about 30 doughnuts


4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 eggs, beaten

oil for deep frying (I use canola oil)


In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Stir well to combine. Stir in the remaining ingredients, except the oil for frying, just until the ingredients are moistened. If desired, refrigerate the dough for easier handling, about 20 - 30 minutes, or so.

Fill a large heavy-duty saucepan, dutch oven or electric skillet, 2/3 full with oil. Use a candy thermometer to regulate the temperature and heat to and maintain 375 degrees. Remove a portion of the dough (half of the dough would be a good amount) and on a floured surface, knead the dough for 1-2 minutes, or until it no longer sticky. Roll out to a 1/2 " thickness, ensuring that the surface is floured underneath. You don't want too much flour, however, as the flour will end up in the hot oil and will just burn.

Use a doughnut cutter and cut the doughnuts out. Ideally, you will also have a small cutter for just the doughnut holes, too. Slip the doughnuts into the hot oil and fry 1/12 minutes on each side for a total of 3 minutes, until they are deep golden brown. You want to turn the large doughnuts over halfway through the cooking time, but the doughnut holes, you will probably want to turn over frequently throughout the cooking time.

I like to roll out the dough and have everything cut out, placing the doughnuts cookie sheets lined with parchment paper. I then cover them with waxed paper and chill them until ready to fry them. This speeds up the process considerably. If it's cold enough outside, I have the trays outside, then bring in one tray at a time, allowing the doughnuts to warm up a few minutes before frying them. This is not necessary, and totally up to you. It is just something that I have found over the years that has saved me time when making such huge quantities of doughnuts.

Carefully remove the doughnuts from the hot oil with a slotted spoon that has a long handle. Drain on paper towels. I like to line a large roasting pan with a paper grocery bag, then place several layers of paper towels on top of that to absorb the oil.

If you are going to roll the doughnuts in granulated sugar, you will want to do that while they are still very warm, so the sugar will adhere to the doughnuts.

If you want to roll the doughnuts in powdered sugar, allow them to cool completely. I would even suggest waiting until the second day so they can dry out some and the powdered sugar will not absorb any of the oil from the doughnuts. But powdered sugar is very good on these doughnuts, especially when warmed up in the microwave.

If you plan to glaze or frost the doughnuts, allow them to cool, first.


Chocolate Glaze

This is the chocolate glaze that I've been using for years. It is Alton Brown's recipe from Food Network. It is excellent, and although it involves a few steps, don't let that deter you. This is just the way I do it, only to make it easier for me to dip the doughnuts from a larger bowl.

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup whole milk
1 tbsp light corn syrup
2 tsp vanilla extract
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
2 cups powdered sugar

In a saucepan, combine the butter, milk, corn syrup, and vanilla over medium heat until the butter has melted. Decrease the heat and add the chocolate, whisking until the chocolate has melted. Turn off the heat. Add the powdered sugar and whisk until very smooth. Either place the saucepan over a larger saucepan (if it fits snugly) that has WARM water in it. OR transfer chocolate to a large bowl (this is what I do, so I have room for dipping) and place the bowl over a saucepan that has WARM water in it.

NOTE: You don't want to use boiling water, just very warm water. And, you don't want to the water to touch the bottom of the saucepan or bowl. The idea is to just keep the chocolate warm and liquidy enough while you are dipping the doughnuts in it. Just dip the tops of the doughnuts, and gently shake the excess chocolate off. Place on a wire rack with paper towels underneath to catch the drips and allow the chocolate to harden before serving or storing.

You want to work quickly so that the chocolate doesn't cool and that you have difficulty getting it to adhere to the doughnut. If you find that it is cooling off too quickly, you could empty that water and add some warmer water, but that is not a guarantee that it will work real well.


If you are adding sprinkles, do so immediately before the chocolate sets up and dries.



Vanilla Frosting

This is based upon a recipe found here at this website Chocolate, Chocolate, and More for Chocolate Cake Donuts with Vanilla Glaze. What I did differently was to add some corn syrup so the frosting would harden and not be sticky. I also used clear vanilla extract, so it would remain very white, and not change color from the regular vanilla extract, but you can use whatever you have on hand. it will not affect the taste either way.


2 tbsp whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

In a large bowl, sift the powdered sugar to remove any lumps. Stir the vanilla, milk and corn syrup into the powdered sugar to create a thick glaze. Add any additional powdered sugar, if necessary, if you need it any thicker. Dip the tops of the doughnuts into the glaze or spoon the glaze over the doughnuts over a wire rack with paper towels underneath to catch the drips. Allow the doughnuts to dry and harden.

If you are adding sprinkles, do so immediately before the chocolate sets up and dries.


Doughnut Glaze

Another Alton Brown recipe from the Food Network. This actually gets better as it sets up and dries. It gets a little crunchy, which is something I like.

1/4 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract ( I used clear vanilla to help maintain a white color, but you can use whatever you have on hand)
2 cups powdered sugar

Combine milk and vanilla in a medium saucepan and heat over low heat until warm. (SEE NOTE 1.) Slowly stir powdered sugar into milk mixture until well combined. Remove from heat and set over a bowl of warm water. (SEE NOTE 2.) Dip doughnuts in glaze one at a time, and set on a rack with paper towels underneath to catch the drips and allow to harden before serving or storing.


NOTES
1. I start off cooking this is a saucepan, combining the milk, vanilla, then finally adding the powdered sugar. I transfer that mixture to a large bowl and place it over a saucepan of WARM water, ensuring that it fits snugly over the saucepan. This way, I have plenty of room to dip the tops of the doughnuts and I am not cramped for space as I would be if I were dipping them from a small(er) saucepan.
2. Do NOT allow the water from underneath the bowl to become too hot. This will break down and melt the powdered sugar, causing it to become more of a clear glaze, rather than an opaque glaze, which is what you want. Also, you do not want the water to touch the bottom of the bowl. You don't need that much, just enough to keep the glaze warm and liquidy.



A look back through the years .... (just a few photos of many)


Please indulge me and allow me to become sentimental.

My father passed away two years ago around this time of the year, and finding these photos on my phone has brought back many bittersweet memories, especially since these photos were taken at his home and he loved decorating for the holidays. Of course, I can't fail to mention my mother, who passed away in 2008. She was the one who started the tradition of doughnut making way back when. I always think of her when I make these. I've mentioned in earlier posts that I started out helping her standing by her side when I was very young, then I took over making them at some point.

I remember it very well, even down to the pan we used. It was an old pressure cooker pan. I remember it because of how small it was and that we could only fry up just a very few doughnuts at a time. (I don't think electric deep fryers were around back then.) We fried them on the stove melting Crisco, and using a candy thermometer to regulate the temperature, but it never was all that reliable. We would always quadruple the recipe and back then it TRULY WAS an all day affair. We used a different recipe back then, until I found one that we liked better. We made them every year at Christmas, but my mother was always very patient, God bless her!. We had the best mother when it came to nurturing and patience, and you couldn't get much better.

Not only did we make doughnuts every year, but we made dozens and dozens (and dozens) of cookies!  It was a good thing my dad had a sweet tooth, because my sisters and I so enjoyed making those cookies and making sure we helped mom. Thanks to our mother, we still do to this day, just maybe not in the same quantities. I was just talking to one of my sisters last night, and she was talking about how she is trying to carry on this tradition with her own daughter and our niece.

We had a very large family, and with 7 kids, it was a loud rambunctious crowd. You should have seen our living room with the Christmas tree and all the gifts and stockings that ran all along the mantle. I even remember one year my dad placing gifts up on top of the curtain rod above the large picture window, because he had run out of room. As we all grew and had families of our own, the stockings ran along the mantle of the living room all the way out into the dining room. You can see that in one of the pictures below. Not only did they run along the mantle, but they were hung above the cupboards above the counter in the dining room, as well. It made for a happy and lively crowd.

After my mom passed away, a couple of my kids and I moved in with my dad and we spent a number of years there. He continued to decorate for the holidays in every year in memory of my mom and it always looked beautiful. My sisters would come over and put up the tree, and decorate the mantle, and they would go all out. My dad, however, was usually was the one to put up the stockings, even when he was almost 90 years old. We had numerous sets of placemats and dishes he had quite the knack for setting the table for all the holiday meals.

You can see the snowman if you zoom in. My dad really liked that thing. You can also see a picture of my mother next to the snowman if you zoom in closely enough. The family home has been sold now to a young family with a boy who was very excited to have a forest in his backyard. There were many happy memories made in that house growing up, but it is bittersweet knowing we will never be able to go inside again. I'm confident the family living there will have the same experiences our family has had as their family grows over the years to come and makes their own happy memories.

2015











2016





No comments: