Sunday, November 15, 2009

Steak Soup

Printable Recipe


This is a very good soup, that I doctored up quite a bit. I'll give the original recipe, and include the changes I made alongside in italics, as well as the notes I wrote when I made this for the first time, at the end.


2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 pounds lean boneless round steak, cut into 1-inch cubes (I used stew meat, but you could also use chuck)
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 medium onion, chpd
2 cloves garlic (I did not add)
5 cups water
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
2  1/2 cups medium egg noodles, uncooked
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (I did not add)
2 cups (8 oz) shrd Cheddar cheese (I did not add)

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add meat and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Brown meat on all sides, stirring occasionally. (Do this in batches, if needed, so that you get a better sear on the meat.)

Add the onion and garlic; cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add water, Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp pepper, and paprika. bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Stir in the egg noodles and mushrooms. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is tender and noodles are cooked.

Ladle soup in to individual bowls and top with the shrd cheese.

Notes:
I cooked the noodles in the broth as is called for, and all of the broth was pretty much absorbed by the noodles. So I added 1 can Campbells Beef broth and about 1  1/2 cups water. It was much better, but still lacked something. I wanted to doctor it up a bit, but did not want to give it an Italian flavor by adding oregano, basil and thyme. So I added a pinch of allspice, and it was great!

I found the Worcestershire to be a bit overwhelming so maybe next time, add a bit of lemon juice to counter this, maybe 1 tsp. I also found it a bit too peppery, so cut down on the pepper added, to maybe 1/2 to 3/4 tsp.

This can also be made using chuck roast, instead.

This would be good thickened with a flour/water paste, and served over mashed potatoes.

No comments: