Thursday, May 2, 2019

Lemon Lime Jello Poke Cake

In searching for a different recipe online, I came upon this website that had a cake recipe that I used to make for my kids' birthdays, when they were little. Because most of them happened to have birthdays in the summertime, I wanted something that was light and refreshing. This certainly fit the bill, and it was easy to make, and delicious, too.

Since it is always nice to have a photograph of the finished product of any recipe I post (and since I don't have one of my own yet), I decided to post a link to the recipe blog where I found this recipe. I'll have to find my own recipe, then compare the two. There are some slight differences, but I'll come back and post them if they are significant. One difference I will mention is that I used an 8-oz container of Cool Whip in place of the Dream Whip. See note below.

The recipe can be found here at Cleverly Simple: Lemon Lime Jello Poke Cake. 

Print

1 box Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme cake mix - Baked according to package directions in a 9 x 13" pan
1 (3-oz) package lime jello
3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water

Frosting
1 small box (3 oz) lemon instant pudding mix
1 envelope Dream Whip
1 1/2 cups cold milk

1. As stated, bake the cake mix according to package directions in a 9 x 13" pan. Cool cake for 20 - 25 minutes.

2. While the cake is cooling, prepare the jello as follows: Combine the jello mix with  the boiling water and stir until dissolved. Add the cold water and stir. Let cool to room temperature.

3. Using the tines of a fork, poke holes all over the cake and pour cooled jello over the top. Refrigerate the cake until it has chilled.

4. Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by beating the lemon pudding and Dream Whip mixes together with the cold milk. Spread over the top of the cake and refrigerate. Store cake in the refrigerator.


Note: If you prefer, or have trouble finding the Dream Whip (which can be found in the baking aisle in your grocery store along with the cake mixes and canned frosting), you may use an 8-oz container of Cool Whip. Just prepare the pudding mix by mixing with the 1 1/2 cups cold milk (since you want a stiffer pudding, you use less milk than called for in the directions on the box). Let set. Fold in the Cool Whip and spread over the cake.




No comments: