Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Strawberry Fluff

When I first started this blog, I posted a recipe that I got from a friend, but it had no real name. All I could come up with was "Creamy Orange Jello Pudding". Years later, I would find the recipe online, and it was called Orange Fluff. What is nice about this recipe is that you can use any flavor of jello that you like. In the past, I have served this at family gatherings, and it has always gone over well.

I've been making this quite frequently lately, and my favorite flavors so far are, strawberry, lime, and then orange. The lemon flavor is nice, but subtle. The cherry flavor is very tart. I haven't tried any other flavors of jello, but I'm considering trying the grape flavor because I like grape, but I'm curious as to how it would work out.

The recipe is very simple to make, but you do need to plan ahead of time, because it needs a good 8 hours to set up in the fridge before adding the Cool Whip.





Print

1 (3 oz.) package jello
2 (3.4 oz) packages Vanilla Cook & Serve pudding mixes
2 1/4 cups hot water
Cool Whip (8 to 12 oz) - I use the Cool Whip Lite

In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the jello, pudding mixes, and hot water and cook until  it has thickened and become transparent in color, stirring constantly. It will start to boil at this point. Just be sure to continually stir, so it does not scorch. Allow to cool slightly, then cover the pan and chill in the refrigerator overnight, or for about 8 hours. Using an electric mixer, add the Cool Whip and beat until it is fluffy and well combined. I like to "cream" the jello mixture until smooth before adding the Cool Whip just so that it is fully incorporated and there are no flecks of the jello mixture remaining. This keeps for several days stored in the refrigerator.

Notes:
1. You may add fruit to this if you would like. I haven't added anything to the strawberry flavor, but I think sliced strawberries would be nice, or even sliced bananas to your individual servings just before serving it.

2. To the orange flavor of jello, I have added a can of (drained) mandarin oranges.

3. I have also seen recipes online where people have added mini marshmallows. I'm sure that would be good, too.




No comments: