Sunday, December 9, 2018

THROWBACK - Chocolate Chip Cookies

THROWBACK: These are recipes that I made years ago and then have fallen by the wayside over the years. I recently came upon many of these recipes when going through a box full of handwritten recipes and printed from off the internet. They've brought back a lot of memories going through them. I can't wait to try them again.

Recipe can be found online here

I know, I already have quite a few recipes on here for chocolate chip cookies. I'm always searching for a thick and chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe that delivers on its promise of being thick and chewy, rather than flat and then turns hard the next day. I came upon this recipe in a box full of handwritten recipes, and I do not remember where the original recipe came from, but I must have really liked them because I found several different handwritten copies of the recipe, including one that I had at one time taped to the inside of my kitchen cupboard. I would only do that to recipes that were true family favorites.

I do remember that these make a large batch of cookies and that I would form some of the dough into a long log and wrap in parchment paper and then freeze. Then when I would want even just a few cookies, I would grab it out of the freezer, cut off a few pieces and allow to defrost (it doesn't take long) and bake. I also remember placing some plain M&Ms on top of the cookies before baking. It's so nice to have freshly-baked cookies at any given time, isn't it?

Print

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar 
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, softened
1 tbsp vanilla extract
2 eggs
4 to 4 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1-2 (12-oz) bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips (or 3 cups)


Cream butter and sugars until well mixed. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Beat in the flour, baking soda and salt just until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden around the edges but still soft in the middle. Let cool on cookie sheet a few minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely. You can make these large by using a large cookie or ice cream scoop.

Notes:

- If you read the reviews online for this recipe, one person said that they added rum extract to the dough along with the vanilla. That sounds real good, and something I’d like to try.



No comments: