Saturday, November 20, 2021

Applesauce Raisin Spice Bars

I remember bars like these being served at a small private school I went to for a couple of years when I was very, very young. I think everything was made homemade on site, and I remember right, the parents would rotate coming to the cafeteria to help serve lunch to the students. I always really liked those bars, and years later, I found this recipe that is probably very similar to what was served in school. 

I haven't made these since my own kids were very young, so I don't exactly remember how they turned out, but I have written on the recipe card that they were Real Good, and my goal here is to post old family favorites. If you make them, please come back here and let me know how they turned out for you. 

Note: You can add more of the spices, if you like a spicier bar. 

Print

Bars

1/4 cup Crisco shortening
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup applesauce
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves

1/2 cup raisins, optional 

(These are best made with the darker raisins. You may plump them up by placing them in a bowl and pouring just enough boiling water to cover. They should plump up in just a few minutes. Drain very well before adding to the batter.)

Frosting

1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-3 tbsp milk, or enough to reach desired consistency

Directions

To make the Bars:

Beat together the sugar and shortening until smooth. Add the egg and applesauce, mix well. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Stir into the applesauce mixture. Stir in the raisins. Spread in a greased 9x13" pan. Bake 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Cool, then frost.

To Make the Frosting:

Using an electric mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Add enough of the milk (more or less than what called for, to reach the desired consistency) beating until everything is smooth.

No comments: