Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Potato Hamburger Soup

I made this soup often when I was in my late teens and early 20s. I haven't made it in decades, but I do remember it being a very good soup. It's a good base recipe that you can add additional seasonings, or additional water/beef broth to create more broth, whatever suits your tastes, as it is a pretty thick soup.

Print

1 1/2 pounds hamburger
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
3 medium potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 can diced tomatoes
1 bay leaf
4 cups water*
salt and pepper, to taste
2 cubes beef bouillon, optional - for a more beefy flavor

*I have used 3 1/2 cups water plus 1 1/2 cups tomato juice to give the soup more flavor

Directions

Brown the hamburger and onions, drain. Place in a Dutch oven or stock pot and add all the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 1-2 hours.

No comments: