Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Pizza Bread

Another recipe I got from a co worker when I was in my 20s. I made this often to bring to gatherings, and it always was a hit. You can make this with frozen Italian bread dough that has been thawed, or do a quick version of it and use a couple of tubes of Pillsbury biscuits. My prefered method was to use the frozen bread dough. There aren't necessarily measured ingredients to this recipe. Just add whatever amount you would like to. 

Print

*See my notes below on Variation of this Method for additional toppings

Longer Version

2 loaves frozen Italian bread dough
1 can Italian tomatoes, drained and crushed OR jarred pizza sauce
Italian seasoning
Mozzarella cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped pepperoni
Browned Italian sausage, optional

Directions

1. Roll out each dough of thawed Italian bread dough. Place one of the loaves onto a greased rimmed large cookie sheet. 

2. Spread a thin layer of Italian tomatoes over the bread dough and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.

3. Sprinkle on shredded Mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

4. Top with pepperoni and Italian sausage, if using

5. Roll out the second loaf of thawed Italian bread dough and place on top of the the toppings. Cut a few slits into the top loaf to allow steam to escape.

6. Cover with a towel and allow to rise until doubled in size.

7. Bake 450 degrees for about 15-20 minutes, or until nicely browned and cooked all the way through and crust has browned on the bottom.  

8. Cool a little while, then cut into small squares. Serve.

*Variation of this method:

I have notes where I wrote down that I made the following changes:

1. Roll out one loaf frozen bread dough that I rolled out, then cut in half. 

2. Place one half into a greased 9x13" pan. I layered on Ragu pizza sauce, pepperoni, Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.

3. Place the other half on top of the pizza toppings, then I covered the top loaf with additional pizza sauce, and cheese.

4. At this point, I covered with foil and refrigerated for most of the day. The dough did rise, but then I placed on top of the stove in front of the vent and allowed to rise some more, for about 45 minutes. 

5. I baked at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.

6. Instead of refrigerating, you could allow to rise until doubled, then bake.

---------------------------------------             

Quick Version

2 tubes Pillsbury biscuits OR 2 tubes of the pizza crust
1 can Italian tomatoes, drained and crushed OR jarred pizza sauce
Italian seasoning
Mozzarella cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped pepperoni and/or browned Italian sausage

Directions

1. Combine each tube of biscuits that you will roll together to form 2 separate layers.

2. Place one layer on a greased, rimmed baking sheet.

3. Spread the bottom layer with the tomatoes, or pizza sauce and sprinkle with the seasoning.

4. Sprinkle with the cheeses and pepperoni and/or browned Italian sausage.

5. Top with the second layer of biscuit dough. Cut some slits into the top of the dough to allow steam to escape.

6. Bake 350 degrees, I'm guessing about 20 minutes, until everything has browned and cheese has melted and bottom crust has browned.

7. See my notes above Variation of this Method, regarding topping the top crust with additional sauce and cheeses. 






 

No comments: