Monday, April 29, 2019

Jumble Cookies

Please refer to this post, and read where I mention chocolate chip cookies made with added Rice Krispies. You might think that is an odd thing to add to cookies, but they are very good. They turn out crispy and crunchy, if you happen to like crispy-crunchy cookies. They are a nice change from the regular chocolate chip cookie.

This recipe came from my mother, but I don't know where it originally came from. However, I did a search on Jumble Cookies, and found the exact same recipe on another cooking blog. If you just Google "Jumble Cookies History", it is interesting to read that they are centuries old, but they were made very differently from the recipe I'm posting here. At any rate, give them a try and let me know what you think.

This makes a small batch.


1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups Rice Krispies cereal (Note: I wrote in the recipe card that 2 cups was too much, and to use 1 1/4 cups, instead.)
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanuts (Note: I have never added the peanuts, but you can leave out all together, or add raisins, or M & Ms, instead)

Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. Beat in the flour, baking soda, salt and Rice Krispies and mix well. Drop by spoonfuls onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, or onto lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Do not overbake. 

No comments: